Finally heard back on the job I applied to! I didn't get it, but honestly, the thing is...
At this point, I'd already been working on the assumption that I didn't get it for like. A week.
Seriously, the interviewer said they'd get back to me by the end of the next week at the latest, but didn't respond to the nice, polite, "Hey, I know hiring takes a long time and stuff happens on top of that, do you perchance have an updated timeline for me?" email I sent the Monday after the end-of-week "deadline".
The response I finally got was via email to an account I wasn't using for the application.
I mean, it would technically be a lateral job move within an organization, so they would know they could reach me at said email? But I also deliberately didn't use my job email because I am looking for another job, and while I'd love to keep working within this organization, that's not guaranteed to happen; I figured it was best practice to be consistent with what email I use when applying for jobs instead, especially since, if I move on from this organization, I probably won't have access to said email account anymore. And since I sent my follow-up email from the non-work account, and the interview request was sent to my non-job account I don't think I can just assume that they lost my non-work email address. But that just makes it more baffling that they would use my work email address!
Ahem! All of that aside, from the results, I'm going to assume that my application was not rejected immediately after the interview, but rather that I was at least two or three names down the Preferred Candidates list from the top, and one or more of the people ahead of me got the job.
As for my next steps, IDK. I've looked at a few other job postings, but a non-zero number of the ones I've considered (including the one I was rejected for, actually) said they wanted someone with strong Microsoft Office skills, and that's... not something I have! So I might try looking for more job listings, but also looking for a class I can take on the Microsoft Office suite. I do better with guided learning than learn-on-your-own stuff, especially now that I have a better handle on my ADHD with regards to homework and such. Also, an actual class might offer some sort of certification of completion, which would be useful in my resume.
Alternately, I look into being a school bus driver again; I've had a clean driving record for the last fifteen-ish years, and again, my ADHD is under better control, so it might be worth a shot.
I mean, it would technically be a lateral job move within an organization, so they would know they could reach me at said email? But I also deliberately didn't use my job email because I am looking for another job, and while I'd love to keep working within this organization, that's not guaranteed to happen; I figured it was best practice to be consistent with what email I use when applying for jobs instead, especially since, if I move on from this organization, I probably won't have access to said email account anymore. And since I sent my follow-up email from the non-work account, and the interview request was sent to my non-job account I don't think I can just assume that they lost my non-work email address. But that just makes it more baffling that they would use my work email address!
Ahem! All of that aside, from the results, I'm going to assume that my application was not rejected immediately after the interview, but rather that I was at least two or three names down the Preferred Candidates list from the top, and one or more of the people ahead of me got the job.
As for my next steps, IDK. I've looked at a few other job postings, but a non-zero number of the ones I've considered (including the one I was rejected for, actually) said they wanted someone with strong Microsoft Office skills, and that's... not something I have! So I might try looking for more job listings, but also looking for a class I can take on the Microsoft Office suite. I do better with guided learning than learn-on-your-own stuff, especially now that I have a better handle on my ADHD with regards to homework and such. Also, an actual class might offer some sort of certification of completion, which would be useful in my resume.
Alternately, I look into being a school bus driver again; I've had a clean driving record for the last fifteen-ish years, and again, my ADHD is under better control, so it might be worth a shot.
no subject
Date: 2026-10-13 08:50 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2026-10-14 04:58 am (UTC)Thanks for the luck wishing! Here's hoping I can find an actual class for that 😂